read to the tune of, “The Devil Went Down To Georgia”
September started with a bang.
There was bees to tend, a shop to fix, and
work was piled high.
I had YouTube to help me out
but I was barely get’n by.
So first things first I split the bees,
some would say it was ill-advised.
But with my hard head
I didn’t care what they said
I was getting 50 hives
So of the splits, beetles ate three
and four didn’t make a queen.
So with money made from honey, I bought a new laying team.
With the bees all set I changed my focus
to reorganizing my shop.
I said, “It’ll take two days.”
What a silly phrase
cause four weeks ain’t changed a lot.
In the midst my truck crapped out.
It’s that just rich?
But I didn’t care
cause life’s ain’t fair
when you’re the universe’s bitch.
In All Seriousness
September has given me an ulcer. Well, maybe not an actual ulcer, but I have been sick with stress and frustration.
I insisted on making walk-way splits on September 1st. Of those splits, 2 were taken over by beetles (a third hive I didn’t split, for unknown reasons, also was ruined by beetles). Only two re-queened themselves. Luckily, I bought six new queens and had enough to re-queen the remaining hives. This has left me with 25 hives for the year but one of them was looking pretty weak.
My workshop remodel is taking way longer than I expected. I really did think it would only take 2 or 3 days. With just 12’x18′ of shop space and 20’x40′ worth of crap, I seem to be moving items from one side of the shop, then back to the other side of the shop, and then back again. However, yesterday, I actually started to make some forward movement. I got some of the particle-board up on the wall and now I can build a new work bench. Shouldn’t take more than another 2 or 3 days tops.
Then there is the truck. This one is actually a full on blessing. My old SUV had 270K miles on it and has been limping along for months. The electrical system was shot, the 4-wheel drive was about to go out, the tires were almost bald, it had an oil leak, and then Wednesday, it just gave up the ghost!
I put it on a computer and got P0455: EVAP system large leak detected. That was the final nail in the coffin.
I have good credit, so I went online, got approved and started looking for a good used truck. As providence would have it, I found a 2013 Ram 1500 4-door pickup that’s in immaculate condition. It looks and drives like brand new. I got a great deal and an extended warranty – so now I have a new (at least new to me) truck that is dependable.
Best of all, I now have a pickup truck again, and that will make working my bees so much easier. With my SUV, I had to hook up a trailer every time I went out. Now I can just jump in my truck and head out to the Apiaries.
It’s been a stressful month but I have high hopes for October!